- Prospective investors wishing to buy or trade in any Kenya Government securities are required to open a CDS account with the Central Bank of Kenya. The CDS account acts as the investor’s securities holding and trading account.
- Investors may choose to open the CDS accounts directly with the Central Bank of Kenya or open a client account through an authorized agent which includes, commercial banks, investments banks, stock brokers and investment advisors. It should however be noted that no fee is charged for opening and maintenance of the CDS accounts opened directly at the Central Bank of Kenya.
- CDS accounts may be opened in the names of individual investors or corporate entities. Individual investors may open CDS accounts either singly or jointly, while the corporate investors include companies, co-operatives and other societies, insurance companies, banks , non- Bank financial institutions, NGO’S and entities established by statutes, which are mainly State Corporations.
Requirements for Opening a CDS Account with the Central Bank of Kenya (Individuals or Joint Accounts)
- Individuals may hold a single or joint CDS accounts but NO minor accounts.
- Each individual CDS account holder/applicant MUST complete the CDS accounts specimen signature mandate card (the card) which can be collected from any of the Central Bank of Kenya Branches in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Eldoret or the Currency Centers in Meru, Nakuru and Nyeri.
- The card (s) should be completed in BLOCK LETTERS, neatly and clearly.
- Names MUST be written in the order that they appear on the identification document.
- NO alternations/errors.
- The card MUST not be folded or disfigured in anyway.
- Signatories to the CDS account will be required to sign the card in the presence of a designated CBK Officer or any Authorized Agent.
- On completion applicants will personally submit the duly completed card (s) together with:
- One recent coloured Passport size photograph of the account Holder
- The reverse side of the photograph MUST be certified by the applicants Bankers and stamped.
- The photograph must NOT be stapled or glued to the card.
- The original and clear copy of the National Identity card/valid Passport/alien certificate for verification. (Note that the copies will be retained by CBK)
9. Two signatories of your Bankers, whether a Commercial Bank or Financial institution must sign and stamp the card on the space provided, confirming the Bank account details.
- The Commercial Bank/Financial institution under note 9 above must be licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya.
- Payments will be made to the Bank account specified in the mandate card.
- On receipt of all the requirements, CDS account application (s) will be processed within seven working days.
- Change of address may be advised through a letter signed by signatories as per the mandate.
- To change details of the CDS account one completes a CDS card and follows all the requirements mentioned from no. 1 to 9.
- CBK office can be contacted on Tel +254 020 2860000 or via email:firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com/visit our offices in Nairobi, Kisumu, Mombasa, Meru, Nakuru or Nyeri.